$ sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin [sudo] password for brb: 2019-07-21 10:36:31 URL:https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh [31301/31301] -> "-"  Using python executable: /usr/bin/python3 Installing to /opt/calibre Downloading tarball signature securely... Will download and install calibre-3.46.0-x86_64.txz Downloading calibre-3.46.0-x86_64.txz 100% [==============================================================================================================] Downloaded 62459384 bytes Checking downloaded file integrity... Extracting files to /opt/calibre ... Extracting application files... Creating symlinks... Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrfviewer to /usr/bin/lrfviewer Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-smtp to /usr/bin/calibre-smtp Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-polish to /usr/bin/ebook-polish Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-device to /usr/bin/ebook-device Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrs2lrf to /usr/bin/lrs2lrf Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-parallel to /usr/bin/calibre-parallel Symlinking /opt/calibre/fetch-ebook-metadata to /usr/bin/fetch-ebook-metadata Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibredb to /usr/bin/calibredb Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-customize to /usr/bin/calibre-customize Symlinking /opt/calibre/lrf2lrs to /usr/bin/lrf2lrs Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-viewer to /usr/bin/ebook-viewer Symlinking /opt/calibre/markdown-calibre to /usr/bin/markdown-calibre Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre to /usr/bin/calibre Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-meta to /usr/bin/ebook-meta Symlinking /opt/calibre/web2disk to /usr/bin/web2disk Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-edit to /usr/bin/ebook-edit Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-server to /usr/bin/calibre-server Symlinking /opt/calibre/calibre-debug to /usr/bin/calibre-debug Symlinking /opt/calibre/ebook-convert to /usr/bin/ebook-convert Setting up command-line completion... Installing zsh completion to: /usr/share/zsh/vendor-completions/_calibre Installing bash completion to: /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/calibre Setting up desktop integration... Creating un-installer: /usr/bin/calibre-uninstall Run "calibre" to start calibre
By default, your books are saved in $HOME/Calibre Library folder.
- "-nv" means non-verbose output
- "-O-" means output to stdout. It is the same as "-O -". See what is -O- option means for wget? The dash "-" means standard input or standard output (this case). See here or Download and Un-tar(Extract) in One Step.
- As we can see from the screen message when we run the command again, it (linux-installer.sh) will not download the file again. In fact the file is saved under /tmp/calibre-installer-cache/.
$ ls -lth /tmp/calibre-installer-cache/ total 60M -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60M Jul 21 10:35 calibre-3.46.0-x86_64.txz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 128 Jul 21 10:35 calibre-3.46.0-x86_64.txz.signature
- when we include sudo -v at the beginning, it will prompt us to enter the sudo password immediately. However, if we don't have sudo -v at the beginning, the prompt stays at a strange location when it is asking the sudo password.
$ wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin [sudo] password for brb: 2019-07-21 10:35:41 URL:https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh [31301/31301] -> "-"  Using python executable: /usr/bin/python3 ...
Fetch News and recipes
- How to Get Free Magazines on Your Kindle with Calibre 2/19/2018.
- The news can be scheduled to download once per day (e.g. 6AM).
- The advantage is you can read articles offline once the news has been automatically sent to Kindle. Also you can search the definition or the translation of any word in articles. The disadvantage is you can't download the latest minutes news after the scheduled time.
- gmx email sometimes cannot login.
- Gmail works fine. See this instruction. Hostname: imap.gmail.com, Port: 465, Encryption: SSL. Enable Less secure app access in your Goggle account settings under 'Security'.
- These emails in the Send folder will take a lot of space because of these mobi files in attachment. To delete them, click 'Send' and select the checkbox. By default, it only select 50 emails. Pay attention to some blue text and it will allow us to select XXX all emails. After we select this option, we still need to go to the 'Trash' folder and empty it (blue text).
- The fetched files (mobi) are located under /home/$USERNAME/Calibre Library/calibre/.
- To customize a builtin recipe: Add custom news source -> Customize builtin recipe.
Some RSS feeds
- Top Chinese News RSS Feeds
- https://udn.com/rssfeed/lists/2 聯合新聞網udn/新聞RSS, https://health.udn.com/rss/lists/1005/5681?ch=news 元氣網, https://health.udn.com/rss/news/1005/5681/6008?ch=health 元氣網/健康知識
- 自由電子報 (38MB so better selectively eg 國際 副刊) , Readers Digest (38MB), USA Today (6MB), Associated Press (8MB), National Geography (11MB), Newsweek (5MB, include a cover), Smithsonian Magazine (16MB) , TIME Magazine (username/password is required), xkcd (2MB), BBC News (4MB), Popular Science (1.6MB), The Washington Post (8MB), ScienceDaily (1.2MB)
- U.S.News https://www.usnews.com/info/features/rss-feeds
- 華人健康網 https://www.top1health.com/RSS
- Popular Science https://www.popsci.com/arcio/rss/
Builtin feeds that do not work
- US and World Report news
- Wired Magazine (monthly ed)
- Discover Magazine
The recipes files (*.recipe) and the <index.json> file are saved in $HOME/.config/calibre/custom_recipes. They can be loaded through 'Add custom news source' dialog.
- Calibre will show the file size for each title/recipe. If the title is too large, send to kindle may not work (>40MB not work but 27MB works)
- Each recipe has two parameters: oldest article (how many days) and max # of articles per feed (default is 100). Since all recipes are scheduled to download every day, I can set 1 day for the oldest article.
A commercial service Keendly does it for a fee.
Autostart Calibre after a reboot
Remove a schedule download
Check the checkbox 'Schedule for download' at the top of source.
- Because of this feature Calibre can replace the Reabble service. The free plan can only download 7 news per day.
- pobi: this is a Kindle Store Magazine Ebook Format when Calibre generated and sent is to my Kindle. POBI is a variation of MOBI and enables the display of articles and sections in periodical content. NOTE: If you change the POBI extension to MOBI then the Sections & Articles index of the magazine will not appear.
- azw3: this is the format for the books I purchase from Amazon, or using the browser extension to send it to my kindle
Remove DRM from Ebooks
Calibre Ebook Server
The Best RSS Readers and News Aggregation Apps: Feedly and Inoreader.
Browser extension: FeedPro for FF, Chrome and and other Chromium-based browsers like Edge and Vivaldi.
Create RSS feeds
- How to Find or Create an RSS Feed for Any Website. The trick to create an rss feed does not work by using the fivefilters service on https://kknews.cc/health/ (attribute name: loop-title)
- http://fetchrss.com/ works on https://kknews.cc/health/. Be skillful when using the mouse to select a new item, headline and summary. Free plan only got 5 RSS feeds and 5 news per feed.