Download Office 2019, Office 365 & 2016 ISO Offline Installer. The download file is called ProfessionalRetail.img for Office 2016 Professional and ProPlus2019Retail.img for Office 2019 ProPlus.
Office home use program (HUP)
- https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx $9.95
- Microsoft drops one-off Office licenses from its Home Use Program
Office 2016 Preview
https://products.office.com/en-us/office-2016-preview. Scheduled 9/22/2015.
The executables (EXCEL, WORD, ...) are located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16.
On Windows 10, I did not see Excel (Under 'E' or under 'M') at Startup menu. Under 'Microsoft Office 2016 Tools' in the start menu, I see Database Compare 2016, Office 2016 Language Pref..., Office 2016 Upload Center, Skype for Business Record..., Spreadsheet Compare 2016, Telemetry Dashboard for Office, Telemetry Log for Office 2016. I did see Word 2016, Publisher 2016, OneNote 2016, Outlook 2016 in the startup menu. Anyway, I can type excel.exe in the search box to launch Excel 2016.
Office 365 is a subscription plan to current and future versions of Microsoft Office that offers other productivity services enabled over the internet (Cloud services) including Exchange Online - hosted email for business, and additional online storage with OneDrive for Business.
Can I write an equation? Not in Word for the web.
Adding equations to Google Slides. The strategy is to use the online Latex editor to create a math equation, download the file (say in SVG) and insert it into OneDrive/Google documentation. After I insert a picture (SVG file) on top of a diagram, I need to right click the diagram and choose 'Fill' and pick the white color (since the background color is not white). It works fine except I cannot edit the equation.
macOS will have another extra menu bar sits on atop/outside the office application. This Mac menu is less implemented in Microsoft Office. We can ignore that part depending on the applications. PowerPoint 2016 for Mac review: New interface and features make PowerPoint pleasant
Set up Outlook with Office 365
- Videos from office.com
How to Configure Outlook for Mac for Office 365
How to Reduce the Size of Your Outlook Data File
- Navigation pane
- Reading pane
- Inbox/Message List pane: See microsoft.com on how to change the font size of the message list. Mail -> VIew -> Current View -> View Settings. Click 'Other Settings' -> Row Font or 'Conditional Formatting' -> one rule.
- Preview pane
- Calendar pane: See microsoft.com on how to keep the Calendar in Mail pane. Mouse over (not click) on Calendar located on bottom-left. Click the Pin button to dock it to the right edge of the Outlook window.
File -> Options -> General. Select the drop-down list from the 'Color scheme'.
Change view: Messages vs Conversations
Go to View > Conversion.
On the web version, there is no menu bar. The same option is at Filter > Show as. We can also uncheck the option of 'Show Focused Inbox' from Filter.
How to increase the font size in the reading pane
Use ctrl + mouse scroll wheel. This will affect the current email message.
Or use the Magnification bar at the right-bottom corner (on the status bar). There is no way to lock the zoom level for all messages.
How to change all message font size
See this post. The con is the messages have to be converted to plain text (images in the email will not be shown).
- Click File > Options > Trust Center (category) > Trust Center Settings... (button) > E-mail Security (category)
- Under 'Read as Plain Text', check the box next to 'Read all standard mail in plain text' > click OK once to return to Outlook Options.
- Click Mail (category) > Stationary and Fonts... (button).
- Under 'Composing and reading plain text messages', click Font... (button).
- Adjust the font size/settings as desired (how to you want to see new messages?) and click OK when done, then OK to exit the Signatures and Stationary window, and OK again to exit Outlook Options.
Note - You will have to click off of whatever email you had selected while changing the settings, then click back on it to see the changes you've made.
How to send an encrypted email
turn an Outlook message into an appointment or a task
Drag the message from the message list to the Calendar or Tasks shortcut near the bottom of the navigation pane.
New Meeting Request
Click Calendar first and you will see these two options. New appointment will be saved under my own calendar. New Meeting Request will let you to specify To, When, Where, and Subject.
Auto delete emails from meeting request
Calendar with email
- Change how you view your Outlook calendar
- How can I display Calendar Agenda on Mac Outlook 2016? - no solution
How to Show a Google Calendar in Outlook
65536 rows limit and ? columns limit
- Until Office 2007, Excel has a maximum of 65,000 rows. Office 2007 bumped that up to a max of 1 million rows. See https://stackoverflow.com/a/527026
- A technical glitch that saw nearly 16,000 Covid-19 cases go unreported in England. Excel's XLS file format dates back to 1987. It was superseded by XLSX in 2007. Had this been used, it would have handled 16 times the number of cases.
Keyboard shortcuts in Excel
F2: edit the selected cell
(MacOS): Control + Option + two fingers on touchpad to Scroll Zoom in/out.
In-cell carriage returns
Alt + return
Autofit column width
- Select all ("CMD + a" OR "Ctrl + a")
- Menu -> Format -> AutoFit Column Width.
Plot Excel data
Sort data in Excel
- Select a range of columns
- Click Sort & Filter button and select 'Custom sort'. Select the header of 'Column' of "sort by". Click the OK button. Done
Remove password protection
Excel has detected that filename is a SYLK file but cannot load it
This problem occurs when the file that you’re trying to open has uppercase letters “I” and “D” as the first two characters.
For example, your file contains:
ID, Patient, Name 100, John, Smith 101, Mike, Doe
To fix it, either update ID to lower case “Id”, or you can add an apostrophe at the beginning of the first line of text.
Prevent auto convert to dates in Excel
Excel Options -> Advanced -> uncheck 'Enable AutoComplete for cell values'.
How to insert a line break in Excel cell
- Windows: Ctrl + Enter.
- Mac: Option + Enter
Insert a row
It can insert a row above, but not below. See How to insert a row below in Excel 2016
Save a macro-enabled workbook
Saving and Using an Excel 2010 Macro-Enabled Workbook. Excel adds the .xlsm extension to the filename.
Open two sheets side by side
- How to View Two or More Sheets of the Same Excel Workbook At Once
- View Two Sheets Side-by-Side in the Same Workbook
7 Fun & Weird Things You Can Create With Microsoft Excel
- Tips And Tricks For Excel from extendoffice.com.
How to resize multiple cells to fit pictures quickly in Excel?
How to resize multiple cells to fit pictures quickly in Excel?. It works when I tested on Office 365 Excel on mac.
On mac, we can open VBA by fn + alt + F11 or Tools > Macro > VBA.
Sub ResizePictureCells() For Each Picture In ActiveSheet.DrawingObjects PictureTop = Picture.Top PictureLeft = Picture.Left PictureHeight = Picture.Height PictureWidth = Picture.Width For N = 2 To 256 If Columns(N).Left > PictureLeft Then PictureColumn = N - 1 Exit For End If Next N For N = 2 To 65536 If Rows(N).Top > PictureTop Then PictureRow = N - 1 Exit For End If Next N Rows(PictureRow).RowHeight = PictureHeight Columns(PictureColumn).ColumnWidth = PictureWidth * (54.29 / 288) Picture.Top = Cells(PictureRow, PictureColumn).Top Picture.Left = Cells(PictureRow, PictureColumn).Left Next Picture End Sub
Another technique is to delete pictures. Strangely, 'delete' key does not work on picture objects. Method 1. Click 'F5' or 'fn + F5' on mac. Click 'Special' > check the Object option > OK. All pictures are selected in active worksheet. Press Delete key to delete all of them. Method 2. VBA
Sub DeleteAllPics() Dim Pic As Object For Each Pic In ActiveSheet.Pictures Pic.Delete Next Pic End Sub
Excel print the header row on each page
- Click page layout tab on the ribbon
- Switch to the tab for Sheet and spot the section for Print titles. It hosts a row and a column option.
- In the 'Rows to repeat at top', enter '$1:$1'.
How to Print the Gridlines and Row and Column Headings in Excel
How to freeze a row/column or multiple rows/columns in Excel
- How to Freeze Cells in Excel
For example, to freeze the first 2 rows: Select the 2nd row. View --> Freeze Panes.
A simpler way is to move the cursor to some cell, say R4C3. Then 'Freeze Panes' will freeze rows 1-3 and columns 1-2.
Excel Pivot Tables: How to create better reports
Paste multiple lines into one cell in Excel
3 Quick Methods to Paste Multiple Lines into One Cell in Your Excel Worksheet. The first method (double click the cell works).
Split paste text into multiple columns
Highlight the column containing the data to be converted. Data -> Text to columns. This will call "Convert Text to Columns wizard".
=if(exact(E2, "M"), 1, 0) # Compare E2 cell and "M" string value, return 1 if TRUE.
Create a plan with Excel
Remove green triangles
Windows: File > Options > Formulas > untick checkbox Enable background error checking.
Mac: Preferences > Error Checking > untick Turn on background error checking
Hide rows or columns
Split Screens, Freeze Frames, Quick Cut and Paste, Format Painter
Free for devices less than 10.1 inch screen on Windows 10.
- Caveat Office Mobile只允許使用者儲存為支援Open XML的Office檔案格式，無法儲存成DOC、XLS、PPT格式。
Screenshots from different MS-Excel
- 2016. The quick access toolbar and menu have a green color as the background. The current selected menu item has white background color so its color is consistent with the Ribbon and the worksheets. The top-left has an 'X' icon as Office 2013.
- 2013. The quick access toolbar and menu have a white color as the background. The current selected menu item has green background color.
- 2007. The background color of quick access toolbar, menu and Ribbon is blue by default. There is a big circle Windows icon on the left-most quick access toolbar.
- 2003 No Ribbon. No quick access toolbar and the location is used to show 'Microsoft Excel' and the file name.
- 2002/XP or this one. It looks the same as 2000.
- 2000 Simple.
Use a black color as background for easy reading on screens
On the ribbon go to "Page Layout" and then "Page Color" - select black.
How to Remove the Background From a Picture in Excel
Create an Automatic Outline in Microsoft Excel
Two big menus
- Table Design
- Layout: adjust row hight/column width, insert rows/columns, ...
How to Fill Text Color With an Image in Microsoft PowerPoint
How to Convert PowerPoint Slides to Flashcards for Better Study Results
Powerpoint Presenter View
- https://youtu.be/XKRcTw2ATek The screen has to be extended instead of duplicated.
- LibreOffice Impress also support presenter screen. Presenter can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+2 to view notes on RHS of your own screen and Ctrl+3 to get an overview of all slides and Ctrl+1 to switch back to the normal view (just see the next slide in PC's screen).
- LibreOffice Impress screenshots (no need to install anything extra at least on Ubuntu 16.04 and actually no need to remember the keyboard shortcuts)
- Presenter View in PowerPoint
- How to Add and Print PowerPoint With Speaker Notes
- Presenter View in Google Slides. Just click in the text box beneath the main slide area to type your notes, or go to Tools > Voice type speaker notes, click the mic button and start dictating. Your notes will be viewable by only when you select “presenter view” from the Present drop-down menu.
How to Black (or White) Out a PowerPoint Presentation
How to Prevent PowerPoint from Automatically Resizing Text
How to Dim the Appearance of Text in PowerPoint
Aligning Objects Between PowerPoint Slides
- Align and arrange objects from Microsoft
- How to Arrange and Align Elements in PowerPoint
- Aligning Objects Between PowerPoint Slides (the Smart Way)
How to Blur an Image in PowerPoint
How to Insert an Image Inside of Text in PowerPoint
Insert a right curly bracket
- Insert and Format Shapes and Lines in Word 2019 - Office 365
- My note on Office 365
- Insert (Office menu, not the menu bar in OS) -> Shape -> Pick the right curly brace shape
- Select the curly brace object. Click the 'Shape Format' menu. Click the 'outline' icon (right next to the 'shape fill'). Then pick a color and change/increase the weight
How to Create a Timeline in Microsoft PowerPoint
Slide master and Design Template
How to Record Your Screen With Microsoft PowerPoint
How to Make a Poster Using Microsoft PowerPoint
How to Make a Flowchart in PowerPoint
Track Changes in a Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
PDF and PowerPoint
- 3 Chrome extensions for better presentations
- How to Use Google Slides Animations and Timed Transitions
- How to Use Google Slides Animated Transitions
- 5 ways to make the most of Google Slides animation features
See Video -> PowerPoint.
Webex and presenter's note
How to properly present PowerPoint slides in Webex Meetings. However I don't have PPT Notes option on my mac's Webex; I only see Notes.
Read to you
Hide spelling and grammar errors in Word
How to Add and Remove Comments in Word
Rotate a page in Word files
Avoid change simple quote ' to smart quote ’ (autoformatting) in Word
Uncheck two options in Options -> Proofing -> Autoformatting.
- How To Change Straight Quotes To Curly Quotes In Word? contains a VBA code.
8 MS Word Templates That Help You Brainstorm & Mind Map Your Ideas Quickly
How to use Word to create holiday cards and other projects
Track changes and comments
How to make sure all the changes have been accepted or rejected and all comments have been removed?
- Track changes in Word
- How to Compare Two Documents in Microsoft Word, View and compare documents side by side
- Word: Track Changes and Comments (video)
How to Make a Dot Grid Paper Template in Microsoft Word
- Start an instant meeting in Teams
- How to Create and Manage Teams in Microsoft Teams
- How to Create a Teams Meeting in Outlook
- How to Set Up a Meeting in Microsoft Teams
- How to Create a Flowchart in Word
To create a flow chart in Word,
- View > Gridlines
- Insert > Shape/Line or Text Box
Note that though I can create flowcharts in Word or PowerPoint, I can not export the flowchart to a png file from Word or PowerPoint on my Mac. So I end up using LightShot to take a screenshot.
But Word highlights words with mis-spelling:( The fix that, click 'Review' > Spelling and Grammar. Click 'Ignore' for every words it finds.
- It has an online and offline (open source) versions.
- For offline uses, it has a docker version too.
- The default file extension is an XML. We can export the graph to PNG, SVG among others formats.
- It includes several templates to use.
- Manual & tutorials
- The connector can be created directly from the shape itself through the blue triangle; see Tutorial 1: Creating a Diagram
- To create a text within an object, just double click it. To create a text outside objects, double click somewhere and start to enter the text. After that, just move the text to the location we want.
- It supports layers. Click View > Layers. The Layers panel/menu will be shown up.
- The default one is a 'Background'.
- If we add a new layer, the new layer will be shown on top of the 'Background' in Layers panel. It also uses light blue color to highlight the currently working layer.
- Small triangle next to each layer in the Layers menu allows users to move a layer to 'Back' or 'Front' relative to its neighbor layer. Of course, the top layer cannot go 'Front' and the bottom layer (eg Background) cannot go 'Back'.
- Use the checkbox to hide/show layers.
- Even in the same layer, we can move an object to back or front.
- There are different categories of shapes to use.
- The default one is 'General'.
- Misc category includes lists, tables, linked text, curly bracket, et al
- Flowchart category.
- Arrows category
- Android, iOS, ...